- Export your Gmail data.
- Create an e-mail forwarding rule for your Gmail inbox to relay all messages to mailbox.org automatically. Optionally, also create an auto-responder message to inform senders of your new mailbox.org address.
- Import your data to mailbox.org.
- Inform your friends and associates about your new e-mail address.
- Respond to forwarded e-mails from your Gmail account with your new mailbox.org address.
- Systematically remove your Gmail address from online services and replace it with your mailbox.org address or special aliases.
- After a while, ask Google to delete all your data in accordance with German general data protection regulations (GDPR/DSGVO).
- Heads-up for those who use Google 2-Step-Verification.
1. Export your Gmail data
Now, click on the button "Export", which can be found at the bottom of the content page.
Your browser will now offer the option to download the file. Confirm the download. After the download is complete, you will find the file in your downloads folder.
You should allow a bit of time for the transition from Gmail to mailbox.org. Once you are confident everything works fine, you can ask Google to delete all data they have stored about you. Click on the following link to start this process: https://security.google.com/settings/security/deleteaccount
Please make sure to read carefully the information provided by Google about the deletion process.
8. Heads-up for those who use Google 2-Step-Verification.
If you use this functionality, you should set up a set up an app password.
You can do so by clicking on "Google Account", then "Security" on the left. On the right click on "App Passwords".
The name for the platform may be chosen freely. The type of service would be "e-mail".
Have fun with mailbox.org!